Thursday, November 14, 2013

do something that matters~

Doing something that matters is the entire purpose of life I think. Why would we be here if not to make a difference in the world, in yourself, in somebody else's life? There wouldn't be a point very much would there? So, do something that matters. Whether it be standing up for the kid down the street, or winning a noble peace prize for curing Cancer, to simply looking in the mirror and thinking 'hey I love myself' when just a year ago you were saying you hated yourself. Doing something that matters can mean a lot of things, its a personal experience, a personal preference, and something that nobody can make you do, but it's worth it in the long run.
I struggled with this my entire life, I fought a constant battle with making myself see that I even matter to begin with, but right now I'm feeling pretty good about myself and accomplished with my life. It took a long time to get where I am, and I would be lying if I said it was easy, but I guess that is why it's so satisfying in the end then isn't it? On days when I'm feeling down on myself, I still have to tell myself that I matter, this matters, that everything I am doing is to the best of my abilities, and if I'm not then I show myself how to get back on that track. Because this all matters, in the scheme of things, it may seem like none of this is making a difference, how my blog that maybe two people reads doesn't mean anything, but it does.
Things that matter in my life right now, my job. Yes I finally got a job as a Seasonal Floor Support at Macy's in the Mall nearby. It's a forty five minute bus ride and half a mile of walking in really uncomfortable shoes that I have to wear to work, but it's work it. My job is important, to me, to the Sale's Rep's and to the costumers, it matters whether I attend or do not attend my shifts, and that's pretty important.
School, oh boy school. I don't start until January 6th, but tomorrow I go down to the college, it's only a 20 minute bus right and eight tenths of a mile walk, but it's something that is important to me, my future, my future family, and it's something I owe to myself. I need to go down there tomorrow to establish my financial aid for winter quarter as well as finish the application process that it will take to get my classes in order, sounds simple right? I'm sure hoping so. It's going to take me a long four years before I can become the architect that I want to be in life, but hopefully I'll get there. 
Now what matters to other people. I guess with the holiday season coming up I have more to look forward to than I thought. While I do enjoy the musical attributes of the season, the twinkling lights and the smell of pumpkin spice and peppermint that starbucks has brewing on every corner up here, I wanted to be able to make a difference this winter. I wanted somebody to have a brighter holiday season and while I wasn't sure how to do this I was brainstorming. There were the obvious things, food drives, coat drives, shoveling snow, caroling, working at the food bank and helping the homeless, but it wasn't until something showed up on my tumblr dash did I realize what I wanted to do this holiday season, not for me, but for somebody else. 
It was a completely ridiculous irrelevant gif set of a bunch of bored marines at boot camp being silly, but it got me thinking of all the soldiers out there defending this country for me, doing the hard work for me to take advantage of it. I can't imagine this holiday season without the love I'll be receaving from the family surrounding me, and I wanted to be able to share the love that I have in my heart with somebody. This is what led me to http://adoptaussoldier.org. It's as simple as that. My registration is in and I'm a member there now. It takes up to 3 days before I will be assigned a soldier, which gives me plenty of time to go down to the store and purchase envelopes and stamps before getting the name of my soldier. I want to make a friend this season, I want to make somebody smile, and I want to give a little back. If you want to do the same, I challenge you to adopt a US soldier, it can't hurt you to do so, and it's always nice to give a little back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment